My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.photoshumi.com
and update your bookmarks.

Monday 2 June 2008

Undokai - Japanese School Sports Day : Camera Man

Sunday was sports day at the school that I work at in Japan and my job was camera man. I decided to challenge myself and bring my Pentax K10D instead of using their point and shoot which would have resulted in simple but successful photos. With the K10D and three lenses, the task was much more difficult than I anticipated but overall, the shots came out pretty well. I did have issues with the K10D and the setup which resulted in some out of focus and overexposed photos. I shot everything in RAW because I wasn't 100% confident in my ability to take perfect exposures as I was under a little pressure as I was the only person of staff to be taking photos of the event. If I screwed up and couldn't deliver, they would have to rely on spectator sideline snaps.

First of all, I had three lenses with me, all AF which were the DA 18-55, FA 28-105 and the FA 70-200. Neither of these lenses are the fastest at the best of times with AF and it's something I didn't actually think about. Initially, I decided to keep back from the action and shoot with the 70-200 but there were so many parents and family members in the way, so I took advantage of my "Camera Man" status and got in the thick of the action.

The problem was that the lenses or the K10D just couldn't handle multiple shots in a short burst and AF was a major issue. In hindsight, I should have shot in AFC (continuous mode) where the camera would then track the moving object, I'm not sure how well it would have worked with my budget lenses but I should have done my homework.

Unfortunately I cannot post any sample photos due the the privacy law.