My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.photoshumi.com
and update your bookmarks.

Saturday 15 September 2007

Photographic journey #5.1 - Old on New: Takumar on a Pentax K10D - Results

This is how I use my Takumar lenses on my Pentax K10D.

I attach the Pentax screw mount adapter until it locks in and screw in whatever lens I'm using, most likely the Super Takumar 55mm 1.8 (I also have the SMC Takumar 28mm 3.5 and the Super Takumar 135mm 3.5). I flick the Shake Reduction (SR) switch and then turn the camera on, and choose the focal length of my lens for more accurate SR. From here I have two mode choices, either Av (Aperture Priority) or M (Manual).

With Av mode, I have access to the EV Bar where I can help expose or underexpose the photo, depending on the light and what f stop is set. For example, at 1.8 close-up shots in full sunlight, I may have to underexpose the image by -1 to -1.5 and in low light conditions I would pump it up to about +1.5, all depending on each situation, sometimes I don't have to at all depending on what mood the camera's in.

When in M mode, I press the Green Button and get an estimate shutter speed for the amount of light available, I tend to think the K10D can over expose when pressing the Green Button so I tend to adjust the shutter speed by about two stops via the front dial.

Whether you use M or Av mode, both require a little experimentation and exposure adjustment. Lately, I tend to use M mode and get a basic reading via the Green Button and then adjust the shutter from there.

Here are some of my examples with the Super Takumar 55mm 1.8 on my Pentax K10D.






When I first got my Takumar lenses I found it easier to get up close, open the aperture as low as possible and shoot away. Now that I basically understand how to use the lens, I'm looking foreward to experimenting with different apertures.

Also, if I got any information here wrong, please let me know. This info was from my own findings, experiments and photos. I did get some handy advice from the kind people at PentaxForums.